JOB DESCRIPTION: Streetscape Operations Manager
The FAB FULTON Business Improvement District (BID) was formed in 2009 as a non-profit organization that advocates for and collaborates with small businesses and property owners along Fulton Street in Brooklyn’s neighborhoods of Fort Greene and Clinton Hill, to maintain a safe, clean, and welcoming community while securing resources and partnerships for initiatives that enhance and promote the neighborhood.
FAB FULTON’s mission is accomplished through programs across many areas including clean and safe streets, district-wide marketing and promotion, small business advocacy, community engagement, public space improvements and public programming.
The FAB FULTON BID seeks a highly communicative, dynamic Streetscape Operations Manager to join the organization. This is a full-time position responsible for the overall management of outdoor district conditions. The Streetscape Operations Manager reports to the Executive Director.
The Manager maintains and manages the organization’s equipment and supplies, and works closely with district business owners, managers, and property owners within the BID on streetscape and landscaping maintenance matters, as well as with City agencies, contractors, and utilities. The ideal candidate is organized and passionate about seeking solutions that improve and enhance the outdoor neighborhood experience for business owners and residents alike.
In this role, the Manager will be responsible for overseeing a contracted services portfolio of landscape/streetscape maintenance accounts for the district’s plazas, parks, and public spaces. The Manager will ensure service expectations are being met through regular contact with business and property owners; and will regularly evaluate the streetscape maintenance program effectiveness and implement new strategies to set a course for continual program evolution.
They will also be instrumental in the development of initiatives related to the BID’s outdoor built environment features, including but not limited to:
- Horticulture / Streetscape / Landscaping
- Water management
- Street furniture (bike racks, benches, etc.)
- Snow removal / Snow clearance operations
- Maintenance/Sanitation/Beautification (trash, graffiti, bikes, etc.)
- Street lights, Holiday lights, and all Electrical
- Parking / Bus lanes / Loading zones
The Manager will collect, interpret, and enter district data (including 311 reports) using third-party applications. They will manage and develop reports for the Board of Directors, city agencies, and other stakeholders; the collateral materials may include:
- Pedestrian traffic counts
- Presentations + audits
- Digital applications
The Manager will work with and maintain a professional relationship with City and other public service agencies and utility providers and act as a point of contact for any disruption of service or use of streetscape that impedes regular access for businesses, property owners, and residents, including but not limited to:
- Groundwork by utilities (ConEd, National Grid, etc.)
- Traffic and/or plaza/public space closures; hardscape repair (NYC DOT, NYC Parks, etc.)
- Development construction (DDC, private developers, etc)
- Film crews and loading
The Manager will lead the BID’s Open Restaurants program (and any future outdoor initiatives)
- Interpret outdoor seating requirements and regulations for small business participants
- Assist with agency agreements and directives
- Address violations, warnings, and concerns
The Manager will assist with event production and planning, taking ownership of
- Logistics / Site plans
- Equipment (rentals, seating, etc.)
Take the lead with podcast production, and topics regarding the district landscape; contribute to organization communication, including surveys, newsletters, website, and social media.
A successful candidate for this position will have the following:
- 5 years of experience working in some combination of the following areas: operations management, facilities management, project management, constituent services, event management, small-business assistance, placemaking, or urban planning
- A Bachelor’s degree, and either a Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in a related field
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to create and sustain strong collaborative working relationships with all stakeholders
- Critical thinking skills and ability to assess situations quickly
- An understanding of BIDs and their roles within their communities and the City
- Experience managing consultants, contractors, and third-party vendors
- Marketing and special event programming experience
- Clear and confident written and public communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, social media platforms, Constant Contact and WordPress
- Experience working with City government and familiarity with Brooklyn a plus
(Locally-based candidates are encouraged to apply.)
This is a full-time position, in office, in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. Occasional evening and weekend work required.
Salary Range: $55,000 – 60,000 / year
Anticipated start date: October 2022
No phone calls please, interviews will be scheduled and conducted with qualified candidates while applications will be accepted through Friday, September 30, 2022.
FAB Fulton offers health, dental, vision, and optional employee pre-tax deductions for qualified health, transportation, and dependent care expenses, and a 403b retirement plan. The FAB Fulton BID is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that in accordance with New York City workplace requirements, all FAB Fulton BID employees are subject to the COVID-19 vaccine mandate. All new hires are required to present proof of updated vaccination and booster before the first day of work.
To Apply: send your resume and a cover letter as a PDF attached to an email with the subject line: “FAB STREET OPERATIONS – (Your Name)” to: firstname.lastname@example.org